[PSUBS-MAILIST] newcomer with ScubaSub 300

Thanks for the guidance on list postings.

A couple months ago I wrote to you all inquiring about a psub called
"ScubaSub 300". At the time I had not seen the sub. I've since taken
possession of it on loan, pending development of applications.
I am seeking any first-hand knowledge of it, or references to someone
with that knowledge.

I'm an oceanographer at the University of South Florida, working in an
Optical Oceanography lab, where we use a commercial ROV and custom AUV
designs as vehicles for carrying our UW instrumentation. I also captain
a small research vessel designed to support the ROV and AUV's.

I've sent a couple pictures of the sub to Ray, for the gallery. Check
them out, it's a pretty cool rig, and let me know if you recognize it.

The current owner of the ScubaSub has offered the vehicle to our school
for use as a research tool, but he has no technical specifications for
it, in spite of diligent efforts to locate the builder (dead) or
previous owners (dead or unfound). The gist of what we know is it is a
one-of-a-kind vehicle, built by a wealthy individual with an
aeronautical engineering background, using high quality materials and
construction techniques. It is evident upon even cursory inspection that
the vehicle is well thought out, designed, and constructed.

Our plan is to reverse engineer the vehicle to the extent necessary to
document its performance specs, to refurbish the vehicle as needed to
make it operational, establish an operations procedure and safety
manuals, and train several USF divers in its use.

I would greatly appreciate any help or info you provide, and will keep
you
informed of our progress.

Regards,
Tom Peacock
Research Associate

University of South Florida		College of Marine Science
140 Seventh Ave S			St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work: 727-553-3978			FAX: 727-553-1189
email: tpeacock@seas.marine.usf.edu 	http://iceman.marine.usf.edu