Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Radio procedure

I must commend Vance on an excellent answer to a simple question. I was
going to answer the question myself being a former bubblehead sonarman
and now very active in communications (ham, GMRS, and business) but I
thought I'd see what came out of the bushes. Ty, you have an entire
lecture below so save this one; it's worth every keystroke.

One area not addressed was what type of equipment to use. Of course
marine radio is on vhf but radio waves don't normally work well
underwater. <joke>.  So, an interphase of UQC (underwater telephone) or
other equipment must be used.

Can anyone here advise what equipment is available and/or they have used
successfully. I had always envisioned something like a BRA-8 (antenna
bouy on a towed line) for a radio antenna or perhaps a floating wire but
there must be some good experience here that are just shy readers.
Please come out and address this important area of subbing.

Thanks again Vance.

Ed Greany, STS-2(SS)
USS Will Rogers (SSBN659) Plankowner