[PSUBS-MAILIST] FWIW: Don't know if you remember me....

From: "Richard Gordon" <lrrg@wantree.com.au>
To: <Ray@PSUBS.ORG>
Subject: Don't know if you remember me....
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:50:21 +0800

Hi guys,
            Richard Macrae Gordon here again. I wrote to you guys quite a while
ago to get a bit more info about hull design and other things related to PSUB
construction (a life-long interest of mine).

I have some quite interesting things to tell you all. Firstly, I think I may
have come up with a layout of electrodes and magnets that can quite efficiently
produce thrust in sea-water with no moving parts. I have constructed a crude
model to test this principle, and IT WORKED! Some of you may be familiar with
the Japanese designed Yamato1 that undrwent sea trials in the early 90's. This
had a magnetohydrodynamic propulsion sytem of this type, but because of it's
specific layout, it required superconducting magnets to make it work. These
things require a cryogenic cooling system that is both expensive and bulky. My
design should eliminate the need for such powerful magnets.

With magnets not much stronger than fridge magnets and an input voltage of only
6 volts, I produced a visible flow of sea-water in my test-tank. I am currently
scraping together resources to construct a higher power version that will
hopefully produce a more appreciable amount of thrust. When this is done and I
am satisfied with the results, I will be looking for a corporate sponsor to
offer resources for the development of this idea. Any advice in this area would
be greatly appreciated!!!

My second point, though greatly less interesting, is that I have available some
photos of a small working model sub that I built when I was 15 (it was 6 years
ago, but still a fonde memory). It is about 3' 6" long and about 6" in diameter
(being an Australian versed in the metric system, it's a bit tricky converting
to imperial measurements!!!). It achieved a less than overwhelming top speed of
around 2 miles per hour. I had a lot of fun building it and won the
science-fair!! Say the word and I'll email those photos right over to you.

My last point is a question. Could anyone please tell me a little more about
Jaques Cousteau's Diving Saucer. I have searched the net, but couldn't find
anything about it. If anyone in the world would know the details of it, it would
be a member of PSUBS!

I thank anyone that reads this email for parting with so much of their time. Any
help with any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Best Wishes,

Richard Macrae Gordon