Re: Cousteau Saucer and magnet drives Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FWIW: Don't know i...

Hi Vance, thank you ..

My source for Westinghouse as builder were:

Undersea vehicles for oceanography
ICO-Pamphlet No.10, Washington  Oct.1965 page 20 and 21.

and also (for Westinghouse)

Naval Engineers Journal, December 1968, page 948 and 949

The low 15.000 Dollar quote was given by
"Tauchboote" Norbert Gierschner page 90,91 (great source)
but this book give as producer OFRS
(Office Francais de Recherches Sous-Marine)
and during writing the first mail I was
think "what a cheap boat.."

A Kittredge K-250 made in 1977 was given in the same source
with 8500 Dollar and the S-24 oneman sub with 3450 Dollar
for 1964 - both ready to dive.

I looked further and
Janes Ocean Technology from 1978 page 10
gives as producer for SP350 :
"..the Groignard company before merging with Terin
was involved in the joint designand fabrication of
the SP 350 for the C.E.M.A and C.O.F group to a
design by Cpt.Cousteau. "

That the SP500 replace the SP350 was a mistake of me.

So we have about 4 saucers :

SP300 - 1 (hull sunk during test)
SP300 - 2 later renamned SP350 or Denise (Cousteaus wife).
SP500 - 1 (named Puce de Mer)
SP500 - 2 (named Ocean Fleas)
SP600 (not build but maybe later concept
       for Deepstar 2000)
SP3000 (Cyana - not a "Saucer" but use the
the first pressure hull aus Vasco Jet 90 steel
(spherical shape made from two hemisphers.)
designed/build for the Westinghouse Deepstar 4000)

Some more information including pictures are
in "Manned Submersibles" Busby page 206ff.,

SP350 hatch was 15,75 inch, jets can be rotate 270 degree.
power source is given with 6 x 120 V lead acid 105amp/h batteries.

For SP 500 the builder was given with : Sud Aviation, France.
the pressure hull is cylindrical shape with endcaps.

I phone my supplier today :
A Endcap (Klöpperboden) with 2500 mm diameter ( 8,2 feet)
and 12 mm (0,47 in) thickness from stock in boiler-steel
is just 1200 euro/dollar. (with 25mm/ 1 in . = 1625 euro)
Endcap for the hatch with 700 mm diameter ( 2,3 feet)
with 18 mm ( 0,7in.) thickness and a center hole for the wheel
a a nut for the o-ring is just 277 euro/dollar.
A cylinder with 700 mm diameter and a high of about
150 mm for the hatch seat is just a little more
than nothing and same to the pipe cylinder for
the centerline regulator tank - so a plain saucer hull
(without tax) should be possible for under 3000 Dollar..
Its needs no frames ... and with the thick endcaps
it is good for about 250 meter (820 feet) workdeep..

As useual - no garanties for nothing..

Carsten