[PSUBS-MAILIST] Data Point: Trucks, Trailers and Tonnage

Shipmates,

I have often asked myself this question:  What is the largest and heaviest
psub I could build and still launch from a standard public launch site, with
a standard truck?  I was in Tempe, AZ last week, and here is what I saw.

I saw a guy launch a 7-ton houseboat from a 30-foot trailer using a Ford 350
pickup truck (with four instead of two wheels on the rear axle).  The trailer
had three axles located in the center of the trailer, and the truck launched
the boat with no power problems at all.  Piece of cake.

Seven tons is the weight of the German WWII Biber midget submarine, so I was
sort of impressed that COTS (commercial off the shelf) equipment could handle
that.

Doug  Farrow