From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of D. Blake
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 1:18 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Data Point: Trucks, Trailers and Tonnage

The Biber would have a much greater draft I would think, and much shorter length than the houseboat.  Still, if you used a cable or extended tongue as has been described in past posts....
As for the truck, it sounds like a dually 1-ton that is commonly used to haul horse trailers, fifth-wheel trailers, etc.  Probably had a 460ci big block and heavy duty 4-speed gearbox.  Plenty of power.
If I were going to build a "big sub" the size of a Biber or perhaps even a little bigger in terms of beam,  I would go a step further if my plan was to launch and recover.
I would look for a used 2-1/2 ton International Loadstar or similar truck with diesel and 5-speed twin axle gearbox.  Trucks like these are easily found in the classified ads of just about any big city newspaper for very cheap.  No doubt it will have lots of miles on the odometer; but rebuild the braking system, replace axle/universal/and carrier bearings, repair and flush the cooling system, ignition tuneup, lube job, and replace fluids.  You might also look at the steering components.  With lots of miles, the tie-rod ends, idler-arm/pittman arm, and kingpins should be looked at and replaced if needed.  For around $5K, you should end up with a nice hauler.
Do some bodywork, and a cool paintjob while you're at it.  Yeah! A nice flame job and chrome exhaust stacks behind the cab.  And do not forget "SEA LORD" in gold foil on the outside door panels.
I would also look for a trailer the likes of which is used by Contracters to haul a bulldozer/backhoe behind a dumptruck.  You know, one of those lowboy tri-axle type trailers.
Thing is, you don't need anything new.  The only thing you will be using the rig for is to launch and recover your big 'ol sub.
BTW, you got somewhere to park this thing?