[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: In my search for a simple, cheap pressure hull ...

Jeff Post wrote:

> I think I would nearly impossible to build a practical hull shape using the
> method suggested. It would be very difficult to achieve the roundness
> required for a pressure hull.

I'm not sure it would be as difficult as it might appear.

> If you would like to build a sub from fiberglass, I would suggest using a
> cylindrical object such as a large cardboard tube used in the construction
> industry for pouring concrete pilings. An ideal method would be to build a
> jig to rotate the tube and wind fiberglass saturated with resin on to the
> cylinder.

I think someone has built fiberglass shapes on such a jib.
I seem to recall it being done for aircraft drop tanks.

Using the metal frames suggested to me is pretty much the
same thing as using a carboard tube.  The facted plywood
hull would have to be put on molds, of course, as would
any boat hull built that way.  Circularity could be obtained
by building a moving jig that would slide along the length
of the hull and circle around the entire thing.

> I think you will find that composites will be expensive for constructing a
> PSub. It really will be much easier and less expensive to buy boiler parts
> and pay for  some metalshop labor as required.

That's pretty much my take on it.  Metal is easier to get,
easier to work with and probably less expensive.

Mike