To: Akins
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: Hunley ballast tanks, dive plane and keel. From Bill Akins.

Mr. Akins,
I have forwarded your email to one of our archaeogists to answer, although they are currently conducting some tests on the sub, so I'm not sure when he will be able to assist you. I can tell you that there were no compressed air tanks on board the Hunley. I am also including this link from our website, that may help you.
The Hunley was equipped with 2 snorkel tubes, dive planes, sea cocks, and a bellow system, including a hand pump for the ballast tanks.
Thank you for your interest in the Hunley project, I hope this little information I gave you can be helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Kellen Correia