[PSUBS-MAILIST] Russian Submersible

Boy, it sure makes you think, doesn’t it?  I know I’m not totally informed about what’s “really” happening but if it’s just a fishing net I don’t see why they can’t just throw a bunch of steel-cabled grappling hooks down there and rip it to pieces.  They could possibly bring the sub up in it if it’s really a tangled mess.  What if it’s actually a ASW net, though.  That would be heavy steel and probably installed solid enough to hold a full size nuke sub if entrapped.

Made me wonder if anyone has thought about putting an emergency valve on the outside of their sub that surface air could be connected to in case of emergency?  It could be made in such a way that several different connections would be possible (SAE, Metric, etc.).  Could even be connected to some unwindable hose to get it closer to the surface.  If air could be supplied by a surface compressor it could certainly extend the time rescuers may need to figure out how to raise a sub or at least untangle it.

I just t/w my son who is a commercial diver and he says the outer limit for saturation diving is right around 600 feet.  In fact, he only knows one or two divers who have been past 500.  It’s really hard on the body and not all commercial divers can do it.  Generally, if deeper than 350 feet for any amount of time anymore they switch to 1atm. WASP or NUTE (sp?) suits.  Its those hard robot looking suits with claws for hands.  He was just on a job where they were doing 1,000fsw “pops” (as he called it)in 1atm hardsuits.  If more dexterity is required, they lower a diver in a bell for the job and then he has to go into a special diving habitat for a few days to decompress.  Miserable work, at best.

All we can do now is pray.

Best Regards,

Cliff