From: Dan H.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:31 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] extendair

Dan,

I agree with you.  Why use nine square feet of plate for a three foot diameter ring, and pay for having it water jet cut, when you can purchase a sheet of plate for the hull and have the strips sheared from the drop then role it.  The only thing to be cautious of when using sheared strips is to be sure the strips are sheared the same width from end to end.  Apparently the back stop on the shear where mine was cut was a bit farther back on one end then the other.  I had to fool with them to make exact circles.

If you find a shop with roles grooved for the thickness of the material you need to role on the jack, of course have them do it but I couldn't so I devised a simple rolling machine out of junk I had around.  It wasn't that difficult to do.  The shop I had role the hull had huge roles and did a very good job with it.  They even rolled the 3/4 thick collar I needed for the intersection of the conning tower and the hull, but they couldn't role the flat strips on the jack.  They didn't have grooved roles, so I spent a few hours making the wheels and gathering my junk.

The rings warp so much with the heat of welding, water cut rings aren't going to be round within a thousandth of an inch when your finished anyway.  The welding jig I used, and stagger welding, got my frames it within a 1/16 out or round.  When your welding the frames in the hull they move anyway and can be adjusted by jacking the hull as your welding and by choosing where to weld when.

There are many ways to do the same job and get the same result for the same effort.  A lot depends on what you have available and what skills you poses, but then, Dave does this for a living so he probably knows best.

Dan H.