Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Fabricating "T" Bars

Hay,,,no problem,,,roll the frame....that would certainty work.  The guy just wanted some way to build frames....as to building a rolling machine.  Besides,,,its a k 350 and we are talking about 150 PSI  not 2 or 3 thousand feet.

Daniel Lance <lanceind@earthlink.net> wrote:
At the risk of starting a flame war, I'm going to pipe in one more time.
Yes, a "T" bar can be fabricated using curved segments. The question is why
would you want to ? I can't think of a more labor intensive method. The
warpage and distortion from the welding will be challenging to say the least
! Plywood for a welding jig ? Wow . When you are done welding the flange to
the web the whole "T" bar assembly has to put on a lathe or a rotary table
of a milling machine and be trued up round. You want to keep as much of the
1 1/2 " web as possible, i.e. the whole reason you are fabricating "T" bars
in the first place.
Cliff,
If I were you I would pony up the nickels and just pay someone to shear and
roll some flat bars for me. If you are really ambitious and think you will
use it again then consider buiding a basic bar roller. But it has to be
said, using a basic pyramid style roller (not CNC controlled) requires skill
and PRACTICE! Practice usually means generating scrap which rachets up
overall cost of the project.
A K-350 pressure hull is about as basic as you are going to get . George
Kittredge put a lot of effort into designing his subs. There are not any
shortcuts to be had. Using the right alloy of steel(SA 516 GR 70) and
building to the specications of the drawings is really important. Your life
depends on it !
My humble opinion,
Dan Lance