Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Life Support

harry

    The normal human consumes about one cubic foot of oxygen per hour and will feel no effects of oxygen deprivation at an o2 level above 18% the osha level is 19.5% minimum. air contains 21 % o2. So dependent upon the size of your cabin you need to run the numbers to see how much o2 you will have.

    A co2 scrubbber can be made from a piece of plastic pipe with screens at the end to hold the absorbent. mount a fan at the top and for under 100$ you have a co2 scrubber.

    one caution when using o2  addition it does make things burn rapidly. and abs says that o2 tank most be mounted outside.

    fire and o2

    the biggest problem using pure o2 is the risk of fire in the system piping. high velocity o2 can ignite lots of things . needle valves are used here. Trust me on this i turned a rebreather in to a flame thrower the hard way.

most valves can be ordered o2 clean and should be, the packing and grease needs to be o2 compatible. yes o2 needs a special grease. piping will need to be cleaned prior to use. I have had success with hot soapy water wash, repeat until clean then hot water rinse and cap lines until installed.

hope this helps

rick m