Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Life Support

Hi Ross.

In the event someone had scrubbers & O2 or not, if you were under and entangled and no one around,
and no help coming and after exhausting all resources and approaching suffocation whether over days or hours,
In that event, before suffocating, open your scuttle valve and flood the boat and have your exit planned.
Once flooded and equalized you should be able to open the hatch. It might not be a bad idea to have a
small hydraulic jack under the hatch that could force the hatch open against any residual air still left in the
hull. Then you'd need either a mask and bail out bottle, or one of Alan's escape suits. I am copying his recent
post below because this is an extreme instance of flooding your hull and bailing and his suit has been tested to
600 ft. Bill Akins........

Following the recent discussions concerning submersible safety, and possible escape from a P-sub when trapped on the bottom, the following safety device may be a useful addition to carry on a P-sub.

The submarine escape jerkin is designed for crews to escape from small submarines, and manned submersibles. The jerkin works on a similar principle to the traditional submarine escape suits used by the US Navy and Royal Navy, which have been successfully used on trials from 600ft (200m) depths. The jerkin is packed in a compact valise bag that can be easily stowed in a confined space, with one bag per crewmember. The Submarine escape jerkin can be quickly unpacked and fitted when required.

The jerkin features a waistcoat type construction fitted with a stole or life jacket section, and an ascent hood fully enclosing the escaper's head. The stole is fed with breathing quality air from an integrally mounted air bottle. The airflow from the stole into the ascent hood is automatically controlled by a pair of pre-set relief valves. When worn with the hood fully closed, surplus air is allowed to escape from an aperture at the base of the ascent hood. Thus always giving the wearer newly replenished air to breath on his ascent from the submarine to the surface.

The submarine escape jerkin is fitted with an inner hood for added comfort and security. A waist belt and crutch straps are fully adjustable to ensure a comfortable fit. Supplied with seawater activated light, and whistle.

I have a number of new Submarine Escape Jerkins for sale, that are a combined life-jacket and submarine escape aid.  These units have been tested from a depth of 600ft. They are not cheap but will get you to the surface alive. So if anyone is interested in buying a unit, please contact.

ALAN
Yours Sincerely,
Alan Whitfield
Silvercrest Submarines