Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I will build it!

Hi Patrick and Jim.

Your time at this list will be both very educational and frustrating.
Educational with what you learn, frustrating to build and put into action.
The first thing to know is there are three basic kinds of submarines and
none of them (but the nuclear ones) are true submarines but are in fact
submersibles. We call them submarines as a misnomer. But they have become
so universally known as submarines that the name stuck.
The three basic types are wetsub, where you wear full scuba gear and the boat is fully
flooded, 1 atmosphere sub, where the interior is completely dry and your hull atmosphere
is the same as at the surface, and ambient, which can be partially wet, or mostly dry.
The wetsub is used basically as a diver propulsion vehicle and you only use it to normal scuba
diving depths. The 1 atmosphere sub can go to whatever depths it is designed for and keep you
completely dry and at 1 atm. The ambient sub has either openings or a valve to let the water
pressure into the sub and then that water pressure is kept out of the sub by superior air pressurization of the
sub's interior. With an ambient sub you need to be a certified diver because you are going to
be pressurized by the sub's interior air to the same pressure as you would be if you were diving
at the same depth outside the sub in scuba gear. Your operating depth for an ambient sub
can not exceed normal scuba diving depths. You need to be a certified diver because your body
is going to be subjected to pressures the same as a scuba diver and you need to know about no
decompression diving and follow no decompression diving tables. So the first thing you need to
find out is which of the three types do you want to build. None are easy. Wetsub is easiest.
Ambient is next easiest. 1 atm sub is hardest. Figure that out first and then go from there.

By the way Patrick, an ambient sub does not require any special type of framing other than for
it to be reasonable sturdy. It will not be withstanding any types of stresses or pressures from the
external water pressure because the interior air pressure will equalize that out. In theory, you could
make an ambient sub as thin as a beer can as long as it could hold its batteries and propulsion system.
Some have been built from fiberglass reinforced plywood (FRP) some from just fiberglass, some just from
wood. As long as it is strong enough to hold together and take the weight of whatever equipment you put
on it, it should be strong enough. But be aware that an ambient sub will only let you go to scuba depths
and you have to be a certified diver and follow dive tables to avoid getting decompression sickness, and why
bother when you could just go to those depths with scuba anyway? It has been pointed out in the past here
that it is almost as much work and trouble to build an ambient sub as it is a 1 atm sub that can dive much
deeper. The main difference is that one has a pressure hull and the other does not. The propulsion
systems are still required by both. Ballast and buoyancy systems are still required by both. Pick your type fellas
you have three to choose from. Best of luck.
Bill Akins.