Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I will build it!

I think the author of the PSUBS ethos had precisely this kind of thing in mind regarding the discussion below.

Joe

From: "Akins" <lakins1@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I will build it!
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:47:02 -0500

Hi Rick. I didn't mean to step on your ambient design toes my friend. Regarding the ambient subs, I was speaking in general terms of what is mostly out there
as an ambient. As are the markham and sport subs as you mentioned, which are open to the sea as you mentioned. I haven't seen any totally dry ambients like
the one you are designing Rick. So perhaps in your case your ambient WILL be totally dry, but you must admit the norm is that they are not. How many other totally dry ambients are there? Could you name me a few?
Rick you mentioned doing a decompression dive in an ambient sub like it was normal procedure. No WAY I would recommend that! A decompression dive is tricky
enough using regular scuba. What if you were saturated from being too long pressurized and were unable to maintain your depth for decompression and shot
to the surface? Painful death. There is just too many things that could go wrong doing a decompression dive in an ambient sub. Is is possible? Yes. But is it wise,
necessary, prudent, or especially safe? No. Sorry my friend, but in this instance I take exception to your telling the newbies something that I feel is inherently dangerous
if not outright inviting suicide for them to go out and build an ambient and think it is ok to do a decompression dive in one.  I really feel it is not responsible to tell them that is ok to do.
Perhaps I am not as able a builder as you are Rick, and my wetsub may not seem complicated to you even when it is all put together, but to me it has been
VERY complicated to build. and much more so than a strip built kayak, and it's just a wetsub.  I had the basic body (I had to repair) of the sub as it was in the 1966 movie "Destination Inner Space" but I have had to rebuild the dive plane pivots
using materials at hand and creating things as I went along. There was a host of small things I had to do and make and I won't bore you with the many small tedious things
and will just mention SOME of the things. I fabricated a motor mount for it using an aluminum stop sign. That was a pain to do totally by
hand without ANY type of press or metal shaping equipment. My tools are very limited since most of them were stolen two years ago.. I'm building an easy escape canopy for it because of shark and gator infested areas where I go searching for WW2
aircraft wrecks. That hasn't been easy forming that canopy, plus I still have to install my internal hard ballast bladders and soft ballast pipes on the sides and route air to them as well as install the air tanks.
I still have to locate or fabricate a variable speed water and pressure proof switch for my motor control. I still have to compensate my motor against pressure. I still have to attach the battery pod, electrics, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Nothing I have done on my wetsub has been easy. Everything has had to be designed by me and created as I went along. A long slow process for me. I don't want
newbies to think it is a weekend project. I understand what you are saying about cruising in ease dry Rick. I know what you mean about wanting to tour instead of scuba.
Besides you can't drink your latte using scuba right? I understand that your dry ambient is perhaps somewhat cheaper and easier to build than a 1 atm sub and is without the problems
of having to construct and test a pressure hull. I am glad the ambient type design works for you Rick and who knows maybe one day I might like to try and build one myself if I get bored with my wetsub.
But I question the NEED and safety to perform an ON PURPOSE decompression dive in an ambient. If there is anyone else here at psubs who thinks doing a decompression dive in an ambient is safe, please speak up.
I do wish you the very best on yours and would be interested in knowing how you keep water or even water condensation out of the hull's interior with it being ambient.
As you said... "Bill, I luv ya, baby",  I feel the same way for you and my fellow psubbers Rick. Please tell me you would never purposely do a decompression dive in an ambient. We'd like for you to be around a while.
Bill Akins.