Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient / 1ATM Q?

Hi Patrick.

To answer your question, the answer is yes. As long as your hull will withstand the interior pressure and not burst
outward when you reach the lessened external hull pressure at the surface. This is getting into decompression diving
though. You don't want to go there unless it is an emergency and you got stuck too long on the bottom and have no
choice other than to surface immediately or die.
In that case always carry DECOMPRESSION as well as no decompression dive tables with you and always time your bottom time like any diver. Then you will
know how much pressure to let out and at what intervals before you can pop the hatch. But there are too many things to go wrong
and kill you as I have said before. Yes it is possible. I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose. Imagine for a moment that you
are going underwater in a surface style decompression chamber. That is basically what you are doing. At scuba depths for
SCUBA diving tables times, (NOT decompression diving tables) your decompression chamber is only exerting a small amount
of pressure on your body with the increased internal hull pressure needed to counteract the external water pressure. At 30 ft
(according to PADI scuba dive tables) depth you can stay for an absolute maximum of 205 minutes. At 40 ft it is 140 minutes,
at 50 ft it is 80 minutes, at 60 ft it is 55 minutes, at 70 ft it is 40 minutes, at 80 ft it is 30 minutes, at 90 ft it is 25 minutes, at 100
ft it is 20 minutes, at 110 ft it is 16 minutes at 120 ft it is 13 minutes, at 130 ft it is 10 minutes, at 140 ft it is 8 minutes.
Normal breathing air mix scuba diving without decompression (called no decompression diving) does not go deeper than 140 ft. Then as Rick pointed
out there is mixed air such as nitrox that allows you more bottom time because it has a higher concentration of of O2 in the mix so
you do not saturate with nitrogen as quickly. You will learn about nitrox mixed gas diving if you first get certified as a open water diver
and then take your advanced divers course and include your nitrox course in with the advanced course. Now imagine you stay too long on
the bottom or get stuck after staying too long and get free, but before you get free you closed your pressure release valves because you knew when
you dropped the decompression chambers weights it would rocket up and if you decompressed that fast it would kill you so you closed the valves, drop
the weights and rocket to the surface. You had better have built a very strong hull to withstand that kind of pressure because if it blows apart and you
are instantly decompressed you WILL die. If you have to build a hull that strong you now have a hull that is strong enough for a 1 atm sub which you
could have built in the first place and never got stuck in this decompression situation. DANGER, DANGER, DANGER. You might survive but my bet would
be the hull would blow and so would you with resulting death from rapid decompression chamber failure. Remember the James Bond movie where the main bad guy put one
of his own henchmen into the decompression chamber? Then he pressurized the chamber and then hit the viewport window with an axe instantly decompressing
the chamber and instantly blowing the henchmans eyes, eardrums and guts out. Do you see now why this would not only require a 1 atm strength hull but
would be extremely dangerous even with a 1 atm hull? What if a valve or its back up valve both sticks and you cannot bleed pressure from the boat slowly at the surface in accordance
with your emergency decompression diving tables? Now your body is pressurized and over saturated with nitrogen and you are sitting at the surface in your decompression
chamber not able to decompress slowly nor at the proper intervals and running out of air which will eventually make you open the hatch which will blow open forcefully instantly
decompressing the sub and you die.  I would not want to be in that situation. Anyone out there interested in trying it now?
Bill Akins.