Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 1ATM construction Q?

I briefly explored kevlar reinforced fiberglass due to
the greater design controls and reduced costs, but it
quickly proved to be the weak point in any serious sub
design.  Any nick in the glass would focus pressure
(rather than spread it out properly) and the reuslts
hopefully would be deadly obvious.  Deep Flight uses
this type of hull, but making it safe resulted in a
1.5 million dollar design tag.

You should also check out this info on the PSUBS site:
http://www.psubs.org/faq.html#fiberglasshull

The only serious alternative to metals that I have
seen be successful is a limited variety of concrete
hulled submersibles.  There are about a dozen of these
out on the web.

http://mail.yahoo.com