From: Dan H.
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 10:46
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic dimension change

Brian,
I first shrunk my viewports with a higher heating process. This was before final machining. I probably did have some thickness shrinking then but I didn't have an exact measurement of the thickness before hand.  When you get your acrylic it won't be exact thickness anyway.  My pieces were all different thicknesses.  I don't remember the exact variations but I'm thinking they varied about .030 thousants of an inch.  They even very from one edge to the other of the same piece.

I was told that thick acrylic sheets is made by pouring the liquid acrylic between two sheets of glass and there is always some bulging of the glass form.

If you need exact thickness you should have your acrylic in hand before you machine your housings.

Dan H.