RE: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Suitable 3D Sounders

Have previously used older Interphase units when they were mechanically scanned…had difficulties with the transducers developing leaks in their oil filled housings.  Other then that, the units were phenomenal for finding wrecks and getting a great picture of how they were spread out on the bottom.  Understand that Interphase is using a different transducer now that is much more dependable.  I am going to investigate the PC/180 unit further.

Another member of the list has designed a rudimentary side-scan sonar unit that uses 4 puck transducers on each side connected in a serial-parallel array and two display units on the surface turned on their sides for displays.  Relatively inexpensive to build and works pretty well.  Do a search on the web for homebuilt side-scan sonar and you should find it.

The Imagenex side-scan unit that uses a PC for a monitor is a pretty sweet unit and does a pretty good job for it’s price.

As to the Farsounder and Imagenex units, you should note that these depend on altitude above the bottom for range.  Working close to the bottom their capabilities will be greatly reduced.  The Farsounder unit looks intriguing but appears to be a near surface unit that is intended for large surface units such as cruise liners but they do note that it has been employed on an AUV.  I would check if there are any depth limitations on the transducer.

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas