Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Through Hull stuff

Years ago, I worked for a local Electrical Company in Laurinburg, North Carolina.  Not to get off track, but we did just about anything to make a buck.  This particular time we were at a factory that made brake shoes for trains.  We were working this one weekend in the R&D work area of the mill installing a table top mixer for them to make small batches.

This desktop mixer was 3' H x 3' W x 5' in length.  They would pour powered material in the chamber, add some water and another set of chemicals, and close and latch the lid.

Boring, Huh?  The mixer shaft was supported by wash down duty bearings, and had a flat plate on the drive end.  Attached to this were some ceramic covered magnets.  Also on the drive end of the box, was a ceramic plate, and attached to the drive motor was the same plate as on the main drive shaft.

This thing would mix this powered stuff, stiff, highly vicious material with the lid closed, and nothing penetrating the "hull".

Almost 20 years later, I am still spending a lot of time calling the same group of people who worked with me on this project, picking their brains, to pull any more information about this mixer.

Reading every thread that is e-mailed to my account, I have to say that there is a great group of extremely intelligent individuals, each trying to visualize their problems in their eyes, as well as the eyes of their peers.

My Psub is being made in sections.  If I want to explore, the fore sections will have monitors and articulate members.  If I am to explore outside, the fore section will have a divers station, being open to the internal craft.

But enough.

"What's so difficult about hull penetrations?"
"Nothing. but I didn't want to have any."

Neither did I.

Jerry Dean
Maintenance Engineer
Mechanical and Electrical