RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Build-up

This first one went before the spell check!

Not a word Bill!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Pearce
Sent:
Wednesday, 12 April 2006 6:51 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Build-up

G-day all

From the material I have been reading and what I remember Hydrogen gas is formed in lead acid batteries when charging and dischrgeing. My understanding is that if you ventilate the battery compartment  with the atmosphere when running on the surface and the air in the pressure hull when submerged this can stop a BIG BANG!

Can anyone suggest the amount of Hydrogen as a % of the Subs atmosphere is required for an explosion to occour? Is there such a thing as a Hydrogen Scrubber? Is hydrogen produced more readerly when charging or discharging the batteries.

By contributing to this string the life you save could be mine<J

Regards

Steve P