  From: Sean T. Stevenson
  To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Brass vs. Bronze

  While certainly possible, I think that there are a few practical
  limitations to casting a submarine hull.  The obvious one is size - you
  need to cast the entire thing in one continuous pour, necessitating a
  foundry with that melt capacity.  The second is quality control -
  porosity is much more difficult to avoid in casting than it is in weld
  beads - once cast, every square inch of the hull would need to be
  examined through non-destructive testing (x-ray, ultrasound, etc.), as
  opposed to just weld seams, and then if you do find a problem, you may
  have to scrap the whole thing and re-cast if it is not in an area that
  is easily patchable.  The third is dimensional control - save for the
  ideal case where you cast a perfect cylinder with no hull penetrations,
  bosses, stiffeners, etc., variable cooling rates due to material
  distribution within the cast will cause the finished casting to deviate
  from the original pattern.  Ordinarily, foundries will account for this
  by modifying the pattern to compensate (guesstimating), or by working
  the finished castings in presses, etc. to bump them back into
  compliance.  For commonly cast parts like pump housings, etc., this is
  no big deal, but pressure vessels are somewhat more dependent on their
  geometry for proper function.  This is not to say that it couldn't be
  done, but my gut instinct is that it would be cost prohibitive, as well
  as a lot of work.

  -Sean