From: Akins <lakins1@tampabay.rr.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:43:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] structural question

Hi Vance and Adam.

Could either of you tell me what is the purpose of isolating the batteries from each other into seperate compartments?
I was thinking about what the reasons could be and I could only come up with two possibilities.  Is it because, if there
was a leak in one specific spot on the main box, that only one battery would be contaminated by sea water leakage
and only form enough chlorine gas as one battery could make? Is another reason to contain any hydrogen gas formation
in seperate compartments for some reason? That wouldn't seem to make sense though because if one compartment
exploded and the others were seperate but contaminated with hydrogen, they probably would rupture from the explosion and blow up
also. Or is it some kind of structural reinforcement thing? You are talking about a battery box inside the sub's interior not outside it
correct?
Thanks,
Bill Akins