Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:25 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ambient ballast control

Typically the main ballast tanks should be flooded fully and the flood valves at the bottom of the tank left open (or in the case of a K-250, the bottom of the tanks are open).  To dive the hard (rated to max. pressure sea and/or blow system failure) is then flooded to get either neutral or slightly positive trim.  Submergence is accomplished with dive planes and drive down with the main motor(s) (and in the case of a K-350, additionally using the auxilliary motors).  Being slightly positive will benefit in the case of a loss of power as the sub will slowly return to the surface on its own.

A normal surfacing evolution is accompllished by powering to near the surface and them blowing main and trim ballast tanks thus conserving the limited supply of air carried aboard.  Only in an emergency are main and trim tanks blown at depth (and then dropping the emergency weight if neccessary).
R/Jay