Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nekton fatality

" a way to vent pressure build-up inside the hull "

Vance,

It seems to me that the snorkel valve in the K350 as designed, should enable a significant decrease in the entrapped air bubble, for a bottomed escape scenario like Beta. If the entrapped air in Beta included a portion of the upper part of the pressure hull, that indeed would be a tremendous force to contend with so suddenly released like that.

However, if the hull compromise in Beta was in fact a port in the tower, this would lend one to believe the entrapped bubble was in fact.... quite small as the "hole" was up high. If this is so, that is truly a scary proposition where escape planning is concerned for the K350.

The comment about the conversation on the bottom however, points to some entrapped air in the hull, as the tower doesn't seem large enough to accommodate two men...a sloping posture on the bottom perhaps?

I had wondered what scenarios Kittredge had in mind when he designed this snorkel valve in. Was this accident pre or post the K350 as designed? I had guessed this may have been for either a stuck hatch on the surface or rough seas scenario, but perhaps not exclusively!?

Joe