From: joeperkel@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Xubmersibles (was: Escape Mockup)

Vance,

A scary ride indeed but, a testament to the ruggedness of the design, and the professionalism of the personnel involved. I'm guessing a Perry class submersible based on your background. Were they able to detach themselves, or did they have to wait for someone?

That's the kind of accident that catches you by complete surprise, an unimaginable event that you hope your pre-planned procedures can cover you. But I'll venture a further guess that the sub crews were not responsible for the failure of that A-Frame, an example of your life in someone-else's hands.

One of the events that has turned me off aviation, was practicing instrument approaches one day under positive ATC control, only to glance up in time to see the rivets on a King Air. It's my final responsibility to "see and avoid", but too many people in the mix, myself, my blind safety pilot, the controller, and those other two idiots.

When you look at PSUBS, and you see someone like Dan H. You see someone with nearly absolute complete control over the manufacturing process, maintenance, and operations. Truly, captain of your own ship and master of your own destiny.

I find this truly attractive! Now I just have to find a way to keep the idiot boaters from running me down! :)

Joe