From: "Jay K. Jeffries" <bottomgun@mindspring.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hull thickness technical help needed
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:25:19 -0400

The US Navy has repeatedly looked at FRP for torpedo and other hulls over
the years. Hull water absorption, hull weeping, loss of structural strength
with a minor ding, inability to repair vessel and maintain pressure rating,
inconsistent pressure cycle lifetime, and difficulty in conclusive NDT were
issues that turned the Navy away from this material for pressure hulls.

A small un-noticed hull ding will act as a focus for hull stress under
pressure and can result in buckling or catastrophic failure well below the
calculated crush depth.

We just had a horizontal 30K gal. end-core balsa FRP composite water tank
buckle a few weeks ago, not a pretty picture when it happened and no
indication on the outside that failure was imminent (the tank had just been
inspected inside and out 4 months previously).  FRP would be fine for an
ambient sub but would not be comfortable using it for a 1-atmos. PSUB.

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

  - Aristotle