Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 20:01
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] External vs Internal Stiffners

Thanks for the input Ian.  This hull is for an ROV and only 6 to 10 in ID and I'd start with an extruded aluminum pipe section most likely.  It seems like it would have to be somewhat weaker of a design.  The solid weld will not help with any out-of-roundness problems and would subject the stiffner to failure due to stress cracks and weld failure.

By the way, my hat is off to the folks that put together the spread sheet.  I'll have some questions about it when I figure out what to ask. :)  --Doug J