[PSUBS-MAILIST] diesel electric

Hi All,
              One thing that I am not really clear on, maybe somebody will know, is if I'm going to put a large diesel electric power plant in my large sub ( something like Carsten's)  can I just use a regular diesel generator and then regulate the power to charge the batteries with electronics or would it be better to have a specific generator for that particular job.

Can the same generator that is used for charging the batteries also be used to power the sub?

Can this set up be purchased of the shelf or does is need to be custom built?

Thanks

Brian