Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC-20070002 - Phonetic Communications

Hello Jon and everyone at psubs. Thanks for the instructions on communication. I will add this to my dive plan on board folder.
I was wondering if there was a need for a standard phrase relating to specific actions that we would be doing during our dives. As an example, If a pilot was about to submerge, would we just say '' OK boys, I'm going down '' or would it be more informative to say something like '' yellow sub number  one seven niner commencing dive to three three feet, current heading one two zero degrees west. Request confirmation.''
Or maybe a standard for when we might be having a problem. As an example, '' Oh No ! This things broke! Get me outta here !'' or better yet '' yellow sub number one seven niner, emergency ascent, request assistance.''
Often times people get excited and communication suffers during an emergency. Listen to some 911 calls and you'll see that many times the required information isn't given due to excited/scared people not able to focus.
Another scenario may be an impending electrical problem or something else that may make it impossible to call, so releasing an emergency buoy so everyone on the surface knows there's a problem. Should it be a required device to have a buoy, or is the ''clorox bottle'' enough.
It seems to me that some standardization might be useful in these areas as well.
I also think it would be good to have a surface boat on hand when we are diving our boats. Just in case someone exits their sub while submerged and we could pull them into the boat rather than relying on the divers to drag them to shore.
Just some thoughts.
On another note, my sub project is coming along well. I have the windows and hatch cut in and almost done welding, rotating side motor mounts made, hatch almost finished, and now am working on the rear structure and ballast tank/stern motor mounts.
Also got a quote from Greg on the window acrylic. Hope to place the order in early spring.
I'll try to get some pictures up, and I'm looking forward to the next convention.It won't be ready but will definitely be in the 2009 convention.
First test run will be this summer in a shallow lake close by.
Thanks for all your help. Frank D.