Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 200ton 18meter Live aboard submarine

I am now sitting offshore on board an ROV vessel "Far Saga" in the North Sea. The weather is not to bad Wind 35Kn and increasing, waves are 2,7 significant 6( m max) and the vessel's MRU " Motion response Unit" shows a heave on max + - 2 mtr on the center of gravity. The waves are also increasing so around midnight working limit for the ROV will probably be on the limit ( 5m Sign. and 12m heave ) If you had been out here with a 18 m 200 Te vessel, in these wawes, rest assure that the wave impact forces ( Slamming) and surface current  will have an enormous effect on the vessel. And if you have to go perpendicular to the waves the forces will be even greater. I would strongly suggest a simulation before Wilifred takes it across the ocean for you. I use Orcaflex for dynamic calculation of flexibles and sub sea structures. But I do not have enough experience with the program to help you on the sub. However, ORCINA could do this for you. I don't think it would be to expensive either.....they er are fast and GOOD at it. Then you could find out pretty much what you want, such as ( but not limited to)

* Dynamic forces due to waves and current, from all directions, and differnt vawe height and current.
* Maximum heave, roll, pitch and yaw on the vessel

The simulation is done on the preferred timeline, for example over a 24 hour period. The whole simulation, setup included, should not take more then a few hours. Maybe a small price to pay before thinking of crossing an ocean.

Here is the link to Orcina:
http://www.orcina.com/index.php

Øystein