RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Restoring a Biber (or Beaver) midget submarine

Thanks Ray.

The info from the book "Weapons of Desperation" by Lawrence Peterson was
new to me (which means I will definitely buy, and read it).

However, my main point should still be valid (I would think), and has
really nothing to do with the boat's success or not as a naval weapon.

I think should anyone try to operate - let say a K350 for more than 24
hours in open sea - they will most likely suffer stressful and trying
conditions similar to that the german boys had to endure in their small
boats (even with the threat of a deadly enemy being eliminated).

Therefore, if we discard all aspects of warfare from this discussion (as
well as the fact that any such a small submarine would become very
uncomfortable after 12-24 hours operation), it would still be a good idea
to revisit the actual design of the Seehunde and even have it properly
studied.

It could be quite educational to begin looking for ways to make 'surface
cruising' safer in bad weather situations (i.e. for any personal submarine
having a freeboard of less than a foot and upwards).

regards,
Jens

** Jens,
**
** There is a later book then Kemps that has specific rigorous operational
** analysis of Seehunde attacks and the number of successful attacks was
** found
** to be lower than Kemp's 9 and may have been as low as 0 (can't remember
** exactly).  See Weapons of Desperation by Lawrence Peterson, copyright
** 2006.
** Accounts by the Seehunde operators speak of the stressful and trying
** conditions that they had to endure in these small boats.  If they had been
** a
** successful weapon, we would have seen further development by various
** services after the war.
**
** R/Jay