One last question: What is a drug sub?

Btw, I like the idea of him finding one that needs refurbishing. That might be more believable...

Barbara

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Ray Keefer <psubs2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
HI Barbara,

See below:

--- On Wed, 8/13/08, Barbara O'Connor <oconnor.barbara@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Barbara O'Connor <oconnor.barbara@gmail.com>
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Children's author needs expert advice
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 8:19 AM

I write books for children aged 8 to 12.

I am currently beginning a book that centers around a 10 or 11 year old boy who finds a submarine kit (it was in a crate that fell off a train).

Submarines do not come as kits. You can buy parts, pieces, components, and raw steel but subs do not come in kits.

Even if they came in kits,  the parts may of been damaged, bent or broken from the impact from falling off the train.

And certainly for such a high value item I would think someone would look for it. With modern package tracking they would know the crate was loaded onto the train at location A and at location B it was not on the train.

With the weight involved the boy would have a hard time moving it.

I need some advice from the experts:

Would it be believable that a young boy could build a small submarine from a kit?

Perhaps one of the Kent Markham's designs. They are ambient subs with plywood and plexiglass construction. To use it the boy would have to be comfortable around wood working power tools and be scuba certified. I supposed a boy could just read a book on scuba but that would be a very careless and  unethical  concept to put into a boy's book. Please don't do it. Certainly no scuba shop would fill a compressed air cylinder for him.

I am not sure a 8 to 12 year old could build a Markham submersible without help. A 14 to 18 year old probably could.

Currently Kent sells plans of his designs. The plans were also in the old maganizes (1)(2). Perhaps the boy stumbles upon a copy while cleaning out someone's (uncle, grandfather, old neighbor) attic or garage.

There is a scanned Mechanics Illustrated (April 1966) article at http://www.psubs.org/magart/MI_Sport_Sub.html.

(1) "Build yourself this one-man sports submarine." Author: K. V. Brown, Pub: Popular Mechanics,  June 1968
(2)  "Build this two-man sub for $400" Author: W. K. Markham., Pub: Popular Mechanics,  June 1971

Could the kit be very simple - something like the Silent Runner?
Plans yes. Kits do not exist.
Would he have access to all the tools and parts needed?

For an ambient sub you can use hand tools and powered woodworking tools. Drills and a sabre saw would be all the power tools needed.

For an 1ATM he would need lathes, milling machines and welders. Unless his dad has a well equipped shop and some how the dad does not notice the work being done then a boy does not have a chance to build one on his own.

Where would he have to build it - a barn? a garage?

An ambient could. A 1ATM would require a shop.

Once built, could he maneuver it (on a wagon or cart?) to a nearby pond or lake?
Only an ambient sub. The weight of an 1ATM sub would start around a ton and go up.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Possible ideas:
1. He find an abandon drug sub, intact. A real sub, not one of these David Boats they keep finding.
2. Over the years people have built subs, then when the glamor wears off the subs get relegated to the dark recesses of garages. Perhaps he stumbles across a sub that is already built but only needs to be referbished to be usable.
3. Perhaps swimming in a lake he notices a scuttled sub. After raising it he referbishes it. The raising bit would add to the complexity.
4. Perhaps one of his neighbor is into submersibles and has built one.

Barbara O'Connor
Regards,
Ray