RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Children's author needs expert advice

".....If the book is too technical, I'm guessing your target audience is likely to become bored......"

Absolutely, ...more adventure/magic,... less detail how to get there,...ala Hardy Boys! :)

Joe

From: jonw@psubs.org
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Children's author needs expert advice
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:34:51 -0400

Hi Barbara, and welcome to PSUBS.

I think the boys interest should be peaked when he finds PSUBS.ORG on the Internet, or sees an advertisement for a PSUBS.ORG convention coming to his home town.  Maybe he sees a PSUBS.ORG bumper sticker on a parked car.  Whoops, is my attempt at promotion obvious?  :)

I think the answer to most of your questions are "no" given the targeted age of 10-12 (elementary grade students).  However, you're writing a fictional story that will hopefully be inspiring, not a documentary.  I think your kit idea is the best starting point, and I think it's irrelevant that you can't purchase such a kit in real life.  If the book is too technical, I'm guessing your target audience is likely to become bored.

Jon