Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: The Dry Divers

Thanks Jay. I was just trying to imagine how that set-up would work. I can picture a way to have the rod swivel penetrator exit the sub via a waterproof socket swivel , and if the arm was a hollow tube, you could possibly have a threaded rod running down the center. Seal the threaded rod with an O ring, and use it with a screw device to open and close the grabber hand by turning the rod end from inside the sub. That way only one shaft ( tube ) would run through the swivel gland.
A cue ball, very ingenious. I wish I was a machinist, so I could make stuff like that.
I'm building a new scale model of my sub with the new fairings  and all attachments so I can test the water flow characteristics again with a more accurate rendition of the finished sub. Mu original models were pretty rough, and I want to see how the water flows over the hull at different speeds and how cross currents affect the stability.  After I'm done with it, I'll give it to my grand sons to play with. Maybe add an electric motor so they can drive it in the pool.
 I did a google search for a waterproof swivel socket but came up empty. I plan on using a grabber arm on my sub and was going to use a hydraulic system to run it, but they are so slow, that one on Mantaray looked very nimble. I'll investigate the design some more and if I get any ideas I'll put them out there for comment. Frank D.