From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Dan H.
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:55 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Link to Video of "cue ball" arm

Brian,

With a radius tool on a lathe you can make the ball, eventually.  I never made a full ball but I have the tooling, have set it up and used it several times to make ball ends on parts.  It's not easy to set up to get a true round ball.  You'll make several scrap eggs or undersized balls before you get what you want.

Aluminum is ok but it will eventually corrode and pit.  Stainless would of course be better but the tool loads are much heavier when machining which would make it tougher to use a radius tool on.  Plastic would be a good choice.

That brings it back around to Vance's cue ball suggestion.  They're already made, near perfect in roundness and relatively cheep.  You only need one or two, so why go through all the bother and expense of making a ball.  I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure I've seen plastic spheres "ready off the shelf."  It may have been in McMaster-Carr, toward the back of the catalogue, in the plastic section.

Why reinvent the wheel?
Dan H.