Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome Calculations

In a message dated 8/26/2008 7:05:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, james@guernseysubmarine.com writes:
http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page12229.htm
Hi James. Just a couple of thoughts. First off, Sikaflex is VERY strong, even when used sparingly. I don't think you'll be kicking out that dome if it's glued in. Don't most dome installations have a tapered seat that compresses the dome radially as the pressure builds? I think Stachiews book has info on that.
Second, The handle penetrating the sub as a lockdown will need a shoulder so it doesn't get forced into the hole. I don't have a set of K boat plans, but I know that some of the guys are using "block V " seals where a shaft penetrates the hull. Jim K. has a source for them. Gary used them on his hatch dogs and said they work good. I'm not sure how good O rings work on a through hull over a long period of time. Frank D.