Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome Calculations

Hi Ian.
Thanks for your detailed message and advice.  I'll reply to the points below.

>Hi James,

>I'm also planning on using sectional spherical viewport domes.
>While I've not built any, I'll share what I've found:

>1) You could use a neoprene gasket instead of the sealant.

Yes, i think that might be a better idea.

>Also, in the cross-section, where the viewport, the retaining ring
>and the frame meet, there is a little triangle shaped void, you could
>place an O-ring in there to stop water entering the viewport frame
>and retain the dome.

Or perhaps a sika bead?  Might be just enough to seal and retain, but still allow removal of the dome.

>Alternatively, the "flat gasket" you've currently drawn (between
>the viewport and retaining ring) could be extended so that it's
>sandwiched between the frame and retaining ring as well as
>sandwiched between the viewport and retaining.  This would prevent
>water entering the frame.  Figure 11.76 on page 524 of the Stachiw
>book has diagrams of both implementations.

Yes, that is another possibility.  I'll check on those pages again.

>2) Yes, you should have an over hang so the inside viewport is no
>where near the edge of the fame.  The view port will compress
>slight under operating conditions, fattening the base a little.
>If the base moves over the edge, then there exists the conditions
>for notch cracking to start, which means replacing the viewport.
>In non-normal operating conditions, i.e. the viewport is failing,
>the base will get much bigger, if it goes over the edge, then
>notch cracking will make the dome fail much quicker.

Point taken.  I will modify the design to accomodate an overhang.

>I think there is a hint at how much over hang to have in the
>Stachiw book, but I can't find it just now.

I'll see if i can find it.

>3) I've had a hard time finding information about how to design
>the viewport frame/housing.  Most are designed thick so that the
>pressure hull moving as it dives deeper will not deform the
>viewport frame/housing/seat.  If the frame deforms, then the
>Acrylic will not be against a flat surface and all sorts of other
>problems will come into effect from that.

Thicker is probably better.  I'll thicken up the whole thing.

>Acrylic, in some case 2x or 3x.

Its going to be a pretty thick ring if i make the side walls 31mm the same as the acrylic.  I'll check it out again in the book.

>As for kicking the dome out in an emergency, my guts say that
>isn't going to work so easily.  Alec Smythe had a hydrolic
>piston system for opening his dome in an emergency.  Maybe
>make the dome a hatch, so that the frame swings open and things
>like retaining rings, O-rings, sealant and gaskets won't be
>an issue.  Will the dome be above the water when it's getting
>kicked off?

Yes, i think i agree with you.  Making it a hatch is also a possibility.  I will keep thinking.

>I know at least one person who has/had a sub where the dome
>didn't have any retaining device other than water pressure.

How did it stay on at low pressure?

Anyway, thanks very much for your input and i will have another think about the design.

Kind regards
James

Cheers,
  Ian.