RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar question and safety at speed etc.

David,

Glad I can add to the discussion.  All of the various sonar technologies are very similar, the technology behind the medical ultrasound devices an an imaging sonar are almost identical.  The devils in the details.

What you can do safely depends upon the equipment available and your skill level.  I've been on large airliners which attempted to land in very dense fog (it took 4 very nervewracking attempts).  But this would be certain death in an ultralight.

I think certainly maximum speed will be dictated by conditions, but...

For the sake of argument say I absolutely had to make a high speed transit in low viz and all I had was a forward pointing depthsounder.  I would settle on the bottom, take a fwd scan, rise rotate a few degrees and take a scan, etc...repeat until I had a reasonable assurance that there was nothing in range and then proceed.   The range I could go at high speed would be limited to the range of my echo-sounder.   If I had a mechanically scanned sonar (probably an order of magnitude more in cost) then I wouldnt have to manual rotate the sub a few degrees,  I could just stop and let the sonar do it's thing, the images are pretty easy to interpret if your platform isnt moving.

If I had a high speed imaging sonar ala Blueview then I could just fly, but the range of those imaging sonars is limited due to there high freq (so they have good resolution)

If I had a good map (side scan at the surface) and good nav (IMU, compass, etc.) I could transit at a relatively high velocity in zero viz,  The duration of high speed transits would be limited by the drift of the nav sensors and thus my confidence in my position on the map.

Hope that helps,

-a