RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps

Andy,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Expelling a gas into the water results in the water’s density dropping due to the entrained gas.  A sub would still loose buoyancy even if the gas is expelled in a horizontal manner and it bubbles above the sub.  The sub would be trapped at its depth until the gas stopped and the density of the water above increased.  This same effect is what causes a wreck survivor to be “sucked” down by the sinking wreck (in actuality, the survivor is experiencing decreased buoyancy versus being sucked down).

Propulsive power sufficient for the environment that the submersible is to operate in.  This is different than speed.  There are also some high current areas that are sufficiently strong as to be not suitable for most PSUBs to operate in.

When I spoke of a frozen valve, I meant iced up.  This will occur even with very dry air.

As I mentioned earlier, even though a wet sub doesn’t weigh all that much, it entrains a lot of water (greater than a ton for most streamlined human-powered subs).  This is included in the momentum of the sub.  Believe me from personal experience…you don’t want to get in the way of one of these babies and try to stop it.  More than one has hit a wall or the end and damaged the sub.  Even worse, is the sudden stop for the sub’s occupants.

You are correct that Deep Flight’s speed is for open water operations in diving and not for fast cruise on the bottom.  They worked on Hawk’s Deep Flight for a long time and you don’t hear much about it operational deployment.  How successful is it really?  Do you have any background on this Andy?  Hawk’s pretty much used slave labor to build it. J

Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

    - Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)