Re: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] U.S.S. Albacore Dive Brakes

As another consideration, foil shafts / cores are usually located at a position corresponding to the thickest cross-section of the foil, such that the actuating shaft and endoskeleton can be made as strong as possible in bending and torsional modes (greatest strength / weight ratio possible at maximum shaft diameter).  The stiffer you can make the control surface, the less tendency it will have to vibrate in the presence of vortex shedding.

-Sean