Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stopping Flaps Verses Thrusters

Hi Dan. Thanks for the practical operational advice. That's very good to get when , like me, you've never driven a sub. I don't expect to use the dive planes as brakes, because you're right, the motors will provide much more in the way of stopping power.
I see what you mean by having the dive planes attached, and probably never using them in opposite angles, ( one up, one down )
My thought on this was to help prevent the "snap roll" that Jay was talking about when making a quick turn.
Although the sub is mostly designed for slow travel near the bottom, I also wanted to be able to cruise mid-water while getting close to whales and sharks for video. I don't know how much velocity will be required to actually pitch the submarine into a banked turn, and overcome the center of gravity while making that turn. Probably more than I have power to do.
The electric actuators I saw are rated at push power, length, and speed of travel. Some extend very slowly, while others can move the rod pretty fast. They rate them in inches per second. I saw some that will move the full length ( 6 inches ) in about 2 seconds ( for the dive planes) and about 5 seconds ( at 10 inches ) for the rudders. That's the fastest ones I've seen so far, and that's not very fast. I can see where handles and shafts is a lot more responsive. I like the idea of freeing up a hand. With all the valves, handles, joysticks, and maybe pedals, it can get pretty crowded at the pilots seat. I hope to get to work on all the inside stuff pretty soon, and like the rest of this thing, I'm sure that changes will be made.
Thanks again for the great info. I'm guessing that after I drive this thing, it'll go back in the shop for more changes. Frank D.