RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Reverse Thruster Wiring Options

Greetings Joe,

My vote is for the giant boxing glove on a spring. ;)'

You made a good point about the braking flaps coming out at the same time, and that was what I had suspected was one of the problems with the USS Albacore's accident.  It's been suggested to me that if the USS Albacore had the braking flaps positioned further to the rear they would of had better lateral stability.

Blackburn Buccaneer fighter braking flaps data.

"The small wing of the Buccaneer was suited to high-speed flight at low level. Such a wing, however, did not generate the lift that was essential for low-speed carrier operations. Therefore, the wing and horizontal stabilizer were "blown" by bleeding compressor gas from the engine through surface vents. A consequence of the blown wing was that the engines were required to run at high power for low-speed flight in order to generate sufficient compressor gas for blowing. Blackburn's solution to this situation was to provide a large air brake. The tail cone was formed from two leaves that could be hydraulically opened into the airstream to decelerate the aircraft. The nose cone and radar antennae could also be swung around by 180 degrees to reduce the length of the aircraft in the carrier hangar. This feature was particularly important as contemporary British aircraft carriers were small."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:14_Buccaneer_landing_on_Eagle_Mediterranean_Jan1970.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Buccaneer

I very much enjoy the tech brakes for cheese whiz entertainment as well. But it's dangerous ground to tread on. Steve and I used humor as a way to celebrate the announcement of his Loggerhead sub design, and it irritated a grumpy few. But thats the price of cheez whiz.

Your resident possibility thinker ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski