RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] O-Rings & Acrylic Ports

Jon,

Thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected.  I think what I was remembering is described in 7.5.3 Sealing, 4th paragraph.  From reading this whole section, it appears while O-rings have their applications, the major force transmission on port to hull is on flat surfaces.  Review of the diagrams associated with this passage show that the O-ring forces are either radially (90 deg.) out from the forces on the port or tangential on the edge.  In the slides presented at Holland, in line force of a port against an O-ring set up high localized stresses that lead to early port failure.  See my attached image for the two cases we want to avoid.  While 2 O-rings lessen the stress concentrations in the acrylic in the depicted cases, we still want to avoid this.

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

    - Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)