Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Venting an Ambient

Glad to hear you're safe. On the ambient pressure thing.....the jury's still out on what I use to control my dive planes. I'm kinda leaning back to my original plan of using a two stage pneumatic cylinder. ( the electric actuator method is presenting some unforseen problems.)
    If the air pressure needed to extend the cylinder is applied,( at the surface, there by pushing the dive plane to a horizontal position ) and then I submerge to a depth of say 200 feet, the air pressure would now also need to counteract the water pressure trying to push the rod back into the air cylinder. Is that right?
 Now if I have a spring return on the dive plane, that spring pressure would remain constant at any depth.
Sooooo.......if I apply 100 psi to the dive plane actuator, and it takes 25 psi at the surface to over come the spring pressure and activate the cylinder, then I have 75 pounds of force (psi) while at depth to overcome the additional submerged pressure. Assuming the cylinder rod is 1 square inch, Then the 75 psi would become equal to the water pressure at 168 feet, and the dive plane would ( by the spring pressure ) return to vertical.
 Does that make sense?
This of course doesn't take into account the extra force needed to fight the water velocity etc. pushing on the dive plane.
Still, If I wanted to operate the dive plane at say 500 feet, I'd need to apply 250 psi to the cylinder to overcome the said 25 pound spring and the number of atmospheres at 500 feet.( 15 atm.)
Does that make sense?
It's early yet and I'm waiting for my first cup of coffee, so give me a little slack. Frank D.

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.