RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] bubble pressure (Papenberger)

Jay

The Papenberg Tiefenmesser und Restauftriebsmesser (Depth Gauge and
Rest-Buoyancy Meter) 'belongs' to your category #1, the capillary gage.

To use the word 'capillary' when talking about the Papenberger can be a
bit misleading since the inner diameter of the (plexi)glass tubing used is
often between 7 and 10 mm.

I would therefore assume that this type of gauge would not be more subject
to error from clogging of the inlet than a Bourdon tube gage.

However, I agree that the Papenberger should only to be used at very
shallow depths, normally down to 15 - 20 m (if going deeper the valve to
sea is closed). Having said that, I still think it would be quite useful
in a psub even down to around 80 ft (24 m).

Please note that my previous mail to David is quoted below for your
information.

regards,
jens

** David
**
** "The so-called Papenberg depth gauge is used by the German Navy for
** precision reading at periscope depth. Ref.:
**
http://lab.artematrix.org/submarine/images/project/papenberg_and_trim_principles.jpg
** The measurement is based on the compression of an air cushion, and so the
** reading in the cylindrical glass tube is not linear. The residual buoyancy
** of the boat associated with its floating position is plotted on this
** instrument in addition to the depth scale (starting with the surfaced
** flotation line and decreasing to zero when the top of the superstructure
** has been reached). Moreover, the contour of the cross section of the boat
** is plotted in association with the depth scale (distorted). The water
** level of the instrument is illuminated horizontally, and minute tendencies
** for attitude changes can be identified from the curvature of the meniscus
** before the water level in the tube rises or falls."
**
http://lab.artematrix.org/submarine/images/project/papenberg_trim_sketch.jpg
** (from the book: 'Submarine Design' by Ulrich Gabler)
**
** Here is a photo from inside an old norwegian (but german built) Kobben
** class submarine, ref.:
** http://lab.artematrix.org/submarine/images/project/IMG_0224.jpg
**
** and here one from U 995 (type VII C) in Kiel (Laboe), ref:
** http://lab.artematrix.org/submarine/images/project/IMG_0209.jpg
**
** If you decide to make one then let me know as I have made a little program
** that calculates the offsets needed to space out the scale correctly, i.e.
** according to how you physically size your own gauge (ID of glass tubing,
** length of scale, start air volume, etc). I also have a few sketches on how
** to make the various parts, and how to assemble, plus some ideas on how to
** test and calibrate the final thing when installed in your boat.
**
** regards,
** Jens