[PSUBS-MAILIST] Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED)

This unit looks interesting, and might work for my application outside my conning tower. Perhaps even having two of them, so one screen is set to show on set of data and the other can have some thing else.  I had also thought that a mini cue ball arm configuraiton might do the trick to operate these type of devices.

"Display

  • 128x64 OLED display (Organic LED)
  • 180 degree viewing angle
  • 2000:1 contrast ratio
  • Ultra-bright with giant fonts for easy readability
  • Readable in complete darkness"

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/x1computer.shtml

"Short for organic light-emitting diode, a display device that sandwiches carbon-based films between two charged electrodes, one a metallic cathode and one a transparent anode, usually being glass. The organic films consist of a hole-injection layer, a hole-transport layer, an emissive layer and an electron-transport layer. When voltage is applied to the OLED cell, the injected positive and negative charges recombine in the emissive layer and create electro luminescent light. Unlike LCDs, which require backlighting, OLED displays are emissive devices - they emit light rather than modulate transmitted or reflected light.

OLED technology was invented by Eastman Kodak in the early 1980s. It is beginning to replace LCD technology in handheld devices such as PDAs and cellular phones because the technology is brighter, thinner, faster and lighter than LCDs, use less power, offer higher contrast and are cheaper to manufacture."

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OLED.html

Your resident pipe dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski