[PSUBS-MAILIST] depth gauges

Hi psubbers,
Went for a couple of dives yesterday (scuba). The last being in an old quarry where the visibility was bad
& when I hit a thermocline it just went black. I didn't know wether I was going up or down half the time.
Was thinking from this experience that I'd like a digital depth readout in my sub in fine increments of at least 6 inch depth
deviations. Is there anything like that out there that would be suitable? And if so how is it set up. ie. is the pressure sensor outside
the sub with wires through the hull or is it on the inside threaded into a hull penetration or something.
Any thoughts on anything that might be adaptable to this purpose would be appreciated also.
Regards Alan