RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT Vents

Hi Frank,  The Comsub has rubber hydraulic hoses all over it and they seem OK.  However I prefer the new plastic hydraulic hoses that Parker and Swagelok sell.  Parflex and Synflex are the names.  You can get stainless fittings for them and they will never deteriorate.  Chs, Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, 11 March 2010 10:42 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MBT Vents

In a message dated 3/10/2010 1:05:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, hc.fulton@gmail.com writes:

No roughly halve the depth to get the psi

i.e. a 250 ft sub is 125 psi.  Hoses can take that easily but I would want a hydraulic hose.

Hi Hugh. Good to hear from you.

On the hose thing.....

 Yes, I was originally planning on using a HP hydraulic hose like used on a back hoe, ( to eliminate using a pipe union ) but as Vance said, rubber maybe ain't so good. Yes, it's strong enough, but may corrode.

If I can't find a deal on Swagelock parts, I'll stay with schedule 40 SS fittings. I'm not too worried about a little weeping down the road. Adding  another hull stop valve right at the thru-hull nipple before the HP air line taps in is an acceptable redundancy item that's low cost. My motivation here is to be able to get a pipe wrench on the pipe line while submerged. Not a likely scenario, but easily accomplished.

On the depth thing......

Where is my math screwed up ? Apart from small differences in salinity, temperature, etc. the calc is pretty straightforward. Alec got me thinking I have been making a mistake all this time but I just checked it on Google and the basic idea is right. Pressure = (depth divided by 33)  X  14.7 psi.

OK, it's roughly half the depth. ( 112 psi @ 250 ft. )

It's funny, I was checking Google for the formula and got a NASA site. To determine pressure at depth they use a complicated formula using weight of water and a bunch of other stuff, of course all in metric terms.

 No wonder a wrench is $4000......

I did some work for NASA years ago and they seem to go out of their way to make things complicated. My original contract was to be  3 weeks and about $45,000.

I ended up there 13 months and $1.3 million. Those guys crack me up. At NASA, I guess if you don't spend it you don't get it next budget cycle.

Me, I'm just a simple guy.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4933 (20100310) __________

http://www.eset.com