Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New Guy from down under needs help

Les & Anna wrote:
By the way the sub pressure testing requirements bothers me a little ..can you direct me where I might obtain some written data on this. *I am all for maximum safety it is the major precursor to all my design.....*....but I have incorporated at least three back up systems for preventing slipping any deeper than 300 feet, including auto surfacing beyond 320 feet as a safety factor. With this on board the 3 times pressure factor seems over engineered.This I would consider precludes a three times safety factor

Les, keep in mind that the math used for calculating strength of material to resist external pressure is based upon perfect geometry. A perfect sphere, cylinder, hemisphere, etc. Safety factors take care of issues resulting from not being able to obtain perfect geometrical shapes during fabrication. Once you move out of the realm of perfect geometry, the defects introduced during fabrication become weak spots that degrade the calculations, perhaps significantly. It's great that you have three backup systems for auto-depth at 300 feet, but remember that redundancy provides no guarantees as United 232 in 1989 had three redundant hydraulic systems which all failed (talk about a bad day) and resulted in the aircraft crashing. Mechanical things can fail, even if built redundantly. The nice thing about safety factors is that they never fail. As well, if your intent is for the vessel not to exceed 300 feet then you could eliminate the depth-limiting redundancy and auto-surfacing systems by simply not diving in waters that are deeper than 300 feet. (Operating Guidelines for Personal Submersibles, Section 3.2, Site Selection)

By the way I think I read in the Stachiw book a seven times factor for acrylic domes and windows? Now my logic indicates to me that either they should be both the same either way because the lesser will fail anyway so the maximum is obsolete???
Possibly, but not necessarily. I think you'd have to consider how each component may fail individually due to any defects that might occur as a result of operations over time, and my guess is that you'd end up concluding that each components safety factor needs to be considered in isolation rather than attributing an arbitrary safety factor for the entire vessel based upon your confidence in one component. The defects leading to failure of acrylic (crazing, impact, scratches, cleaning solvents, etc) are likely going to be dramatically different than the defects incurred over time that might lead to failure of your hull (dents, rust, fiber unwinding, etc).

Jon